About Gatchina

In 1499 Gatchina was first time mentioned in the literature as a village Hotchin. After the victory in the Northern War, many noble lords used local lands for hunting.

In 1766 began construction of the palace and at the same time the creation of the park. The palace was built in a scenic area, overgrown with thick pine forest with many clear lakes: Silver, White, Black Lake, interconnected by channels. Place for the palace was chosen on the elevated bank of Silver Lake, which is separated by a narrow isthmus - Long Island - from the central lakes of Gatchina - White. Simultaneously, on the shores of lakes began unit English Garden - the first landscaped park in Russia. The palace was built by architect Rinaldi.

In 1783 Ekatherine II, the Emperor bestowed Gatchina heir to Paul, who turned in Gatchina model for future devices throughout the Russian Empire.

Short history of PNPI

In picturesque suburb of Leningrad, at the ancient town of Gatchina, the construction of the branch of the A.F. loffe Physical-Technical Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR began in 1954, where the research activities in the field of nuclear physics must be concentrated. In December 1959 the research reactor WWR-M was put into operation, and in 1970 - 1 GeV proton synchrocyclotron, remaining the main physical facilities of the Institute up to the present. By that time the direction of biological investigations was formed.

In 1971 the branch of the PTI was reorganized into an independent Institute named in honour of Academician B.P. Konstantinov who played a decisive role in its advancement. In 1992 it received the name "Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute" (PNPI). In 1994 PNPI was given the status of State Research Center of Russia.

At present the staff of the Institute includes more than 600 scientists and about 1000 engineers, among them there are 62 doctors and 275 candidates of science. The works carried out in the Institute were awarded Lenin and State Prizes, B.P. Konstantinov Academic Prize, 5 scientists were elected Corresponding Members of the Academy of Sciences.

 
This content may be copied only with the active reference to a source. Any comments to the site, texts and communication can be sent to Kirill Grigoryev
The title photo was taken from Gatchina site